When Should I Change My Business Safe’s Lock?
Many business owners wonder how often they should change the lock to their safe or whether they should change it at all. The most straightforward answer is, it depends. There are several factors that might contribute to your need to either rekey or completely replace your safe’s lock.
Keep in mind, here in Detroit, the two most popular types of locks for commercial safes are electronic and combination locks. Each type has its own strengths, and whichever type your safe has, the locksmiths at Preferred Safe & Lock can assist you when you choose to change your lock.
Reasons to Consider Changing Your Lock
If you’re already considering changing your safe’s lock, chances are you should proceed with it. It’s always wise to use caution, especially when it comes to your valuables. Here are some reasons we recommend changing it:
- An employee with access to your safe has just quit or been fired. Any time any employee leaves your business, if he or she ever had access to your safe’s key code or combination, even if it was just one time, you should change the lock.
- Your business was recently broken into. Even though your safe was left untouched, you can’t be sure they didn’t retrieve information regarding your safe to return at another time to break into it.
- The lock is getting hard to use, even after it’s been serviced. Over time, locks can wear out. Despite having your lock serviced within the last year to have any gunk or dirt that’s built up inside it cleaned, you’re still having issues with the lock. It just doesn’t work as effortlessly as it did when you first starting using it. It’s probably time to think about replacing it.
- You’re had your safe for quite awhile and have never changed the lock. It’s smart to change things up every now and then, despite not having experienced any of the above reasons. Maybe there’s something new in the lock field that might offer better security for you. Change can be a good thing.
- If you’re not currently experiencing any of the circumstances cited above, you could simply change your safe’s key code or combination. If your safe lock is electronic, it’s relatively simple to change the code by yourself. Just follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Changing the safe’s code on a regular basis, and letting your employees know you make a habit of changing it up, is a good practice to get into and one you won’t regret. If your safe is a combination, you will need a professional locksmith to change it for you. If you have a larger company or a high employee turnover, you might consider having a locksmith change your combination on an annual basis. Again, it’s always better to err on the side of caution.
Any time you want or need to change your business safe’s lock, or if you simply want to discuss the possibility, call one of our trained and trusted locksmiths at Preferred Safe & Lock at 586-757-7742. We want you to have peace of mind.
Call us now for Lock, Key, Safe, and Security Door Service Preferred Safe and Lock.