Six Things Locksmiths Wish You Would Not Do
As you can imagine, our Preferred Safe and Lock locksmiths have some doozy stories they could tell. They have helped people from all walks of life in all types of narratives with their locks and keys––and they have enjoyed helping them. On occasion though, there have been some consistently irritating things people have done over and over that make our locksmiths’ jobs tougher. When you find yourself in a situation where you need a locksmith’s services, try to avoid the following scenarios. Our locksmiths thank you ahead of time.
- Call a handful of locksmiths and then use whoever shows up to the scene first. This is not only inconsiderate, it’s highly unprofessional. We understand you want your situation resolved quickly, and who likes waiting? But it costs money for any locksmith to drive out to your location––both in gas money and and their working rate. So every other locksmith you turn away has just lost that money. Please, only engage one to come out at a time.
- Leave your house or the location before the locksmith arrives. We sometimes take calls for St. Claire Shores, MI, in the middle of the night. In this scenario, typically someone has locked himself or herself out of the house or car. Our locksmith gets out of bed to drive to a location—sometimes remote––to help the customer who called. On occasion, our locksmiths have arrived to find no one around and not answering the phone number given to us. For whatever reason, the customer has left without any given notice. Once again, this costs us money, and it’s highly inconsiderate of the locksmith who got up and drove out to help.
- Give incorrect or inaccurate information when we ask. When you call us to send one of our locksmiths out to your location to help with a lock, we will ask some preliminary fact-finding questions to help our locksmith do the job. If you relay that the lock is one type or brand when it’s another, it impedes efficient and expedient work on our end. Our locksmith has brought tools and materials based on your information. Being careless with your information causes problems for everyone involved. Be as accurate as possible when you call.
- Call to check up on our locksmith’s ETA (estimated time of arrival) every 10 minutes. When we dispatch a locksmith to a job, we try to give as accurate an ETA as possible. If we tell you 40 minutes, please don’t call us after 15 minutes and ask for an update. We said 40 minutes.
- Not prepared to pay due to no money or credit card. As locksmiths, we love our profession and helping customers. But this is our profession, and we expect to be paid, just as you do for any work you do. Please don’t have us come out and then tell us you have no money. We cannot work for free.
- Try to barter with the price. We give an estimated price for the job you describe when you call. Naturally factors may vary once we arrive––your lock is very different and more difficult than you cited, your friend tried to help you in the meantime and drove the broken key in the lock at a strange angle––but we’re good with our estimates. Do not ask for $100 off the final price because it took a lot longer or less time than you expected, or “because it doesn’t look that difficult.”
Our Preferred Lock and Safe locksmiths are professionals and treat our customers with respect. We want to do the best job possible for you, so you’re satisfied. Call us today at 586-757-7742 if we can help you with any of your security needs.
Need Locksmith Service?
Contact the experts!
Preferred Safe & Lock services St. Clair Shores, Roseville, Eastpointe, Detroit, Grosse Pointe, Troy, Madison Heights, Royal Oak, Rochester, Livonia, West Bloomfield, Utica, Ann Arbor, Canton, Chesterfield, Taylor, Flint, Dearborn, Novi, Ypsilanti, Warren, and the surrounding Michigan communities. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 586-757-7742, or request service online today.